Offering for sale this absolutely exquisite vintage embroidered/brocade silk Japanese ceremonial/wedding "Uchikake" kimono: "Uchikake is a highly formal kimono worn only by a bride or at a stage performance. The Uchikake is often heavily brocaded and is supposed to be worn outside the actual Kakeshita wedding kimono and obi, as a sort of coat. The Uchikake of the bridal costume is either white or very colorful often with red as the base color."
- Made of 100% white silk
- Red silk lined
- Padded and weighted bottom hem
- Padded sleeves
- Stunning silver embroidered Phoenix (associated with good fortune and femininity in Japanese culture), light and rich pink (cherry blossom) flowers, and long winding Phoenix tail feathers that tie the entire motif together
- A work of art in its own right -- a beautiful display piece
- Purchased in Japan in the 1980s
- In excellent overall condition, with the original tags still on, I do not believe this Uchikake was ever actually worn, but instead remained folded in a closet and picked up a few imperfections over the years in the way of wrinkles and folds, and what might be a tiny bit of fading on the inner/inside red silk fabric on the left lapel, but nothing significant or noteworthy
- Measures: Length 66" (from neckline to bottom hem); shoulders (measured flat) 22.5"; waist up to 44"; sleeves 13"/38" long
Do NOT contact this poster with unsolicited services or offers.